52nd International Horn Symposium – August 3-8, 2020
Our symposium theme is “The Healthy Horn”
Come to IHS 52 to be inspired by breathtaking concerts from internationally renown horn virtuosi, to meet artisan horn makers from around the world, to attend master classes and presentations from experts in many fields, and to explore all aspects of horn health
Job Description - Exhibits Coordinator
IHS International Symposium Exhibits Coordinator
The International Horn Society values the important role that horn-related businesses have in the fields of horn playing, teaching, and technology, as well as the business of making music and promoting it in our culture. The creation of this position acknowledges and supports the desirable presence of these businesses at workshops and symposia sponsored by the International Horn Society, for the sake of its members, the symposium participants, and the businesses themselves.
The IHS Symposium Exhibits Coordinator (SEC) serves as a liaison between symposium exhibitors, potential advertisers, the symposium host, and the IHS Advisory Council (AC). The Coordinator is appointed by the IHS AC. Though reviewed annually, it is expected that the Coordinator will normally remain in the position long enough to build up useful knowledge, experience, and expertise.
The Coordinator works closely with the International Symposium Coordinator and IHS Advertising Agent to facilitate the presence of exhibitors at international workshops/symposia. The Coordinator reports directly to the Advisory Council, providing annual reports on past and upcoming events, and may make recommendations regarding policies and procedures that affect the presence of exhibitors at these events. The Coordinator should also communicate with the IHS Advertising Agent regarding potential exhibitors.
In addition to these duties, the SEC oversees advertising in the program booklet for symposiums, insuring that potential advertisers are contacted, supplied with information needed to advertise, and that deadlines are met for submitting materials. The SEC should also encourage and secure local businesses that are close to the venue to advertise in the program book. The SEC will be compensated at the same 10% rate as other program book ads from exhibitors. Only program ads that the SEC has secured for the host (rather than ads secured by the host) will be compensated at the 10% rate.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses excellent written, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills, with capabilities to pay high attention to detail, and work well under pressure.
In general, the Coordinator coordinates the recruitment and application of new and returning exhibitors, including following up with past exhibitors to ensure a high rate of return, and maintaining an up-to-date exhibitor database.
The Coordinator works closely with symposia hosts to ensure that potential exhibitors are contacted and their needs are met to the extent possible.
The Coordinator also works closely with exhibitors to ensure that the host venue will be amenable to their needs, and that the promised amenities are insured, for example, wi-fi, locked doors, etc.
The Coordinator will be compensated in this manner:
travel expenses (from home), lodging, meals (including banquet), full registration and 10% of exhibitor fee and program book advertising revenue. Expense reimbursement and commission should be paid within 90 days of the end of the Symposium.
The IHS SEC will work with the host, exhibitors, and IHS to ascertain the following:
With the Host:
- Ensure the host and symposium staff create a daily schedule that includes free time for participants to visit exhibits.
- Ensure that Exhibitors follow all rules and regulations provided (people bringing their own tables. Signage being displayed inappropriately, etc.)
- Ensure the host will provide staff assistance to IHS SEC in advance (e.g., clearing rooms, setting up tables) and at beginning/end of event (loading in/out of exhibits).
- Ensure the hours exhibits will be open (including strictly enforced closing times, e.g., for meals) are advertised in program and signage.
- Ensure there is proper security of exhibits (who will have access, etc.).
- Determine the best possible placement of exhibits with regards to the venue/s, giving special attention to exhibitors’ needs as far as proximity to other exhibitors. Determine the size of exhibit spaces, overall and individual, as well as spaces for instrument trials
- Determine the cost of exhibit space, including tables, chairs, etc. at reasonable prices.
- Confirm the number of exhibitors—Exhibitors will submit registration forms through the IHS SEC, including all request forms. IHS SEC will process and submit forms to the host, and handle room placement, in collaboration with host’s facilities coordinator and then cc the confirmation email with all the information to the Executive Director.
- $1000.00 will be budgeted annually to use for attending major musical events, ex. Midwest, TBA, TMEA, etc. to network and secure more possible exhibitors for IHS symposia. The SEC must apply for this money each year, making the case for the value of this expenditure, so that the Advisory Council can decide whether the expense will be a worthwhile investment for the IHS.
- Determine ad deadlines, costs, and exact materials needed to be submitted to graphic artists for the program booklets. Also, the SEC will send reminders for the deadlines, take in the camera ready ads and send them to the program book graphic artist, along with any placement requests from the advertisers.
With the Exhibitors:
- Communicate with exhibitors as event approaches with logistical information and updates, e.g., registration numbers, program information such as names of guests and musical repertoire, distribution of parking passes, expediting exhibitor registration, making carts available, providing loading maps and dock schedules, communication regarding sizes of tables, outlet availability, internet/cell phone access, etc.
- Communicate shipping and customs logistics, including mailing addresses, resources for calculating tariffs, etc.
- Communicate with host and exhibitors regarding mutual links between symposium and exhibitor websites in advance of the event, as well as sending brochures (including electronically) to businesses for display.
- Establishing fair access/participation rights and procedures for exhibitor staff—IHS SEC should coordinate and communicate exhibitor registrations and any special requirements (hotel reservations, parking permits, banquet tickets, meal tickets, housing arrangements, and so forth). Although the exhibitors will come with plans to make a profit, the fee structure and space logistics should encourage as many exhibitors as possible to attend. The impact of the exhibits on the Symposium far outweighs any extra fees that could be assessed.
- Be available during the event as a primary resource/liaison between exhibitors and the host.
- Arrive early enough to assist in arrival of exhibitors, look for packages, check facilities and preparations, meet with Advisory Council.
- Work with host to schedule and organize a brief reception for Advisory Council and exhibitors.
- Ensure there is an IHS display space, three tables provided in a well-traveled area. The Executive Director of the IHS will normally transact IHS business from this informal "office" during the week.
- All of the contact information and notes from the SEC’s experience and their knowledge of the exhibitor and advertiser contacts remain the property of the IHS, so any new SEC appointee will have access to the information from previous SECs.
- Submit an annual report to the IHS Advisory Council for its annual meetings.
Follow instructions in the correct tab.
New Gift Membership
- Click the "New" button
- Choose the correct membership type.
- Enter the gift recipient’s name and address (not yours).
- Enter the recipient's email address – we will send a welcome email to this address, optionally on the date you specify. This must be a valid email address.
- Select a delivery date for the welcome email (optional)
- Assign a UserName and Password (optional) - the username and instructions for activating the account will be sent to the recipient on the date you choose.
- When you reach the PayPal payment processing page (you can use a credit card too), enter your own billing information.
Friendship Project Rate Table
|Country||IHDI class||Print Membership||E-Membership||Student E-Membership||Afghanistan||4||$15||$0||$0||Aland Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Albania||2||$40||$20||$15||Algeria||4||$15||$0||$0||American Samoa||2||$40||$20||$15||Andorra||1||$50||$30||$25||Angola||4||$15||$0||$0||Anguilla||1||$50||$30||$25||Antarctica||1||$50||$30||$25||Antigua and Barbuda||1||$50||$30||$25||Argentina||2||$40||$20||$15||Armenia||2||$40||$20||$15||Aruba||1||$50||$30||$25||Australia||1||$50||$30||$25||Austria||1||$50||$30||$25||Azerbaijan||2||$40||$20||$15||Bahamas||1||$50||$30||$25||Bahrain||1||$50||$30||$25||Bangladesh||4||$15||$0||$0||Barbados||2||$40||$20||$15||Belarus||2||$40||$20||$15||Belgium||1||$50||$30||$25||Belize||3||$30||$10||$5||Benin||4||$15||$0||$0||Bermuda||1||$50||$30||$25||Bhutan||4||$15||$0||$0||Bolivia||3||$30||$10||$5||Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba||1||$50||$30||$25||Bosnia and Herzegovina||2||$40||$20||$15||Botswana||4||$15||$0||$0||Bouvet Island||1||$50||$30||$25||Brazil||3||$30||$10||$5||British Indian Ocean Territory||1||$50||$30||$25||British Virgin Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Brunei||1||$50||$30||$25||Bulgaria||2||$40||$20||$15||Burkina Faso||4||$15||$0||$0||Burundi||4||$15||$0||$0||Cambodia||4||$15||$0||$0||Cameroon||4||$15||$0||$0||Canada||1||$50||$30||$25||Cape Verde||2||$40||$20||$15||Cayman Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Central African Republic||4||$15||$0||$0||Chad||4||$15||$0||$0||Chile||2||$40||$20||$15||China||1||$50||$30||$25||Christmas Island||1||$50||$30||$25||Cocos Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Colombia||3||$30||$10||$5||Comoros||4||$15||$0||$0||Cook Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Costa Rica||3||$30||$10||$5||Croatia||2||$40||$20||$15||Cuba||4||$15||$0||$0||Curacao||1||$50||$30||$25||Cyprus||2||$40||$20||$15||Czech Republic||1||$50||$30||$25||Democratic Republic of the Congo||4||$15||$0||$0||Denmark||1||$50||$30||$25||Djibouti||4||$15||$0||$0||Dominica||2||$40||$20||$15||Dominican Republic||3||$30||$10||$5||East Timor||4||$15||$0||$0||Ecuador||3||$30||$10||$5||Egypt||3||$30||$10||$5||El Salvador||3||$30||$10||$5||Equatorial Guinea||4||$15||$0||$0||Eritrea||4||$15||$0||$0||Estonia||1||$50||$30||$25||Ethiopia||4||$15||$0||$0||Falkland Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Faroe Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Fiji||3||$30||$10||$5||Finland||1||$50||$30||$25||France||1||$50||$30||$25||French Guiana||2||$40||$20||$15||French Polynesia||1||$50||$30||$25||French Southern Territories||4||$15||$0||$0||Gabon||4||$15||$0||$0||Gambia||4||$15||$0||$0||Georgia||2||$40||$20||$15||Germany||1||$50||$30||$25||Ghana||4||$15||$0||$0||Gibraltar||1||$50||$30||$25||Greece||2||$40||$20||$15||Greenland||1||$50||$30||$25||Grenada||2||$40||$20||$15||Guadeloupe||2||$40||$20||$15||Guam||1||$50||$30||$25||Guatemala||3||$30||$10||$5||Guernsey||1||$50||$30||$25||Guinea||4||$15||$0||$0||Guinea-Bissau||4||$15||$0||$0||Guyana||3||$30||$10||$5||Haiti||4||$15||$0||$0||Heard Island and McDonald Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Honduras||4||$15||$0||$0||Hong Kong||1||$50||$30||$25||Hungary||2||$40||$20||$15||Iceland||1||$50||$30||$25||India||3||$30||$10||$5||Indonesia||3||$30||$10||$5||Iran||3||$30||$10||$5||Iraq||3||$30||$10||$5||Ireland||1||$50||$30||$25||Isle of Man||1||$50||$30||$25||Israel||1||$50||$30||$25||Italy||1||$50||$30||$25||Ivory Coast||4||$15||$0||$0||Jamaica||3||$30||$10||$5||Japan||1||$50||$30||$25||Jersey||1||$50||$30||$25||Jordan||3||$30||$10||$5||Kazakhstan||2||$40||$20||$15||Kenya||4||$15||$0||$0||Kiribati||4||$15||$0||$0||Kosovo||2||$40||$20||$15||Kuwait||2||$40||$20||$15||Kyrgyzstan||3||$30||$10||$5||Laos||4||$15||$0||$0||Latvia||2||$40||$20||$15||Lebanon||3||$30||$10||$5||Lesotho||4||$15||$0||$0||Liberia||4||$15||$0||$0||Libya||4||$15||$0||$0||Liechtenstein||1||$50||$30||$25||Lithuania||2||$40||$20||$15||Luxembourg||1||$50||$30||$25||Macao||1||$50||$30||$25||Macedonia||1||$50||$30||$25||Madagascar||4||$15||$0||$0||Malawi||4||$15||$0||$0||Malaysia||1||$50||$30||$25||Maldives||3||$30||$10||$5||Mali||4||$15||$0||$0||Malta||1||$50||$30||$25||Marshall Islands||4||$15||$0||$0||Martinique||1||$50||$30||$25||Mauritania||4||$15||$0||$0||Mauritius||2||$40||$20||$15||Mayotte||4||$15||$0||$0||Mexico||3||$30||$10||$5||Micronesia||4||$15||$0||$0||Moldova||3||$30||$10||$5||Monaco||1||$50||$30||$25||Mongolia||3||$30||$10||$5||Montenegro||2||$40||$20||$15||Montserrat||4||$15||$0||$0||Morocco||3||$30||$10||$5||Mozambique||4||$15||$0||$0||Myanmar||4||$15||$0||$0||Namibia||4||$15||$0||$0||Nauru||4||$15||$0||$0||Nepal||4||$15||$0||$0||Netherlands||1||$50||$30||$25||Netherlands Antilles||1||$50||$30||$25||New Caledonia||2||$40||$20||$15||New Zealand||1||$50||$30||$25||Nicaragua||3||$30||$10||$5||Niger||4||$15||$0||$0||Nigeria||4||$15||$0||$0||Niue||4||$15||$0||$0||Norfolk Island||1||$50||$30||$25||North Korea||4||$15||$0||$0||Northern Mariana Islands||2||$40||$20||$15||Norway||1||$50||$30||$25||Oman||2||$40||$20||$15||Pakistan||4||$15||$0||$0||Palau||2||$40||$20||$15||Palestinian Territory||3||$30||$10||$5||Panama||3||$30||$10||$5||Papua New Guinea||4||$15||$0||$0||Paraguay||3||$30||$10||$5||Peru||3||$30||$10||$5||Philippines||3||$30||$10||$5||Pitcairn||1||$50||$30||$25||Poland||2||$40||$20||$15||Portugal||1||$50||$30||$25||Puerto Rico||3||$30||$10||$5||Qatar||1||$50||$30||$25||Republic of the Congo||4||$15||$0||$0||Reunion||2||$40||$20||$15||Romania||2||$40||$20||$15||Russia||2||$40||$20||$15||Rwanda||4||$15||$0||$0||Saint Barthelemy||1||$50||$30||$25||Saint Helena||1||$50||$30||$25||Saint Kitts and Nevis||1||$50||$30||$25||Saint Lucia||3||$30||$10||$5||Saint Martin||2||$40||$20||$15||Saint Pierre and Miquelon||1||$50||$30||$25||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||1||$50||$30||$25||Samoa||4||$15||$0||$0||San Marino||1||$50||$30||$25||Sao Tome and Principe||4||$15||$0||$0||Saudi Arabia||2||$40||$20||$15||Senegal||4||$15||$0||$0||Serbia||2||$40||$20||$15||Serbia and Montenegro||2||$40||$20||$15||Seychelles||2||$40||$20||$15||Sierra Leone||4||$15||$0||$0||Singapore||1||$50||$30||$25||Sint Maarten||1||$50||$30||$25||Slovakia||1||$50||$30||$25||Slovenia||1||$50||$30||$25||Solomon Islands||4||$15||$0||$0||Somalia||4||$15||$0||$0||South Africa||4||$15||$0||$0||South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||South Korea||1||$50||$30||$25||South Sudan||4||$15||$0||$0||Spain||1||$50||$30||$25||Sri Lanka||2||$40||$20||$15||Sudan||4||$15||$0||$0||Suriname||3||$30||$10||$5||Svalbard and Jan Mayen||1||$50||$30||$25||Swaziland||4||$15||$0||$0||Sweden||1||$50||$30||$25||Switzerland||1||$50||$30||$25||Syria||4||$15||$0||$0||Taiwan||1||$50||$30||$25||Tajikistan||3||$30||$10||$5||Tanzania||4||$15||$0||$0||Thailand||3||$30||$10||$5||Togo||4||$15||$0||$0||Tokelau||4||$15||$0||$0||Tonga||2||$40||$20||$15||Trinidad and Tobago||2||$40||$20||$15||Tunisia||3||$30||$10||$5||Turkey||3||$30||$10||$5||Turkmenistan||4||$15||$0||$0||Turks and Caicos Islands||2||$40||$20||$15||Tuvalu||4||$15||$0||$0||U.S. Virgin Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Uganda||4||$15||$0||$0||Ukraine||2||$40||$20||$15||United Arab Emirates||1||$50||$30||$25||United Kingdom||1||$50||$30||$25||United States||1||$50||$30||$25||United States Minor Outlying Islands||1||$50||$30||$25||Uruguay||2||$40||$20||$15||Uzbekistan||3||$30||$10||$5||Vanuatu||3||$30||$10||$5||Vatican||1||$50||$30||$25||Venezuela||4||$15||$0||$0||Vietnam||3||$30||$10||$5||Wallis and Futuna||4||$15||$0||$0||Western Sahara||4||$15||$0||$0||Yemen||4||$15||$0||$0||Zambia||4||$15||$0||$0||Zimbabwe||4||$15||$0||$0|
The twenty most recent E-memberships - both new and renewals. They are in reverse chronological order, the newest at the top.
- Click on an email address to go to the card generator form.
- Check the information in the form for accuracy and edit where needed, either directly in the form or in their CB record.
- Click "Send Card"
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat
|First Name||Last Name||Membership||Month||Year|
|Matthew||Leefirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Tzippi (Cheryl)||Pellatemail@example.com||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Julia||Rosefirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Marius||Radvanemail@example.com||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Kimberly||Hilliardfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Nigel||Munisamyemail@example.com||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Wesley||Gorefirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Michael||Gouge||Emandmg@gmail.com||One year E-Member||11||2020|
|Lisa||Conwayemail@example.com||One year E-Member||06||2020|
|Jeremy||Garsidefirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Emma||Van Zuyleemail@example.com||Student E-Member||10||2020|
|Lauren||McKinneyfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Ronald||Beitelemail@example.com||One year E-Member||01||2018|
|Nicholas||Gledhillfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Jillian||Adamsemail@example.com||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Sue||Bigelowfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Heather||Thompsonemail@example.com||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|David||Greenfieldfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Jackeline||Martinezemail@example.com||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Rachel||Hockenberry||Rahocke@ilstu.edu||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Joel||Ariasfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||06||2020|
|LUIS ARIEL||MARTINOemail@example.com||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Lora||Katzfirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Natalie||Lawrensonemail@example.com||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Gabriele||Riccifirstname.lastname@example.org||One year E-Member||10||2020|
|Candace N||Nealemail@example.com||One year E-Member||09||2020|
2018 IHS Composition Contest
Prizes: $1250 for Each Division
Randall E. Faust, Composition Contest Coordinator
There are two divisions in the contest, one playable by the full spectrum of our members and one intended for works at any difficulty level. The instrumentation for the divisions will rotate in future contests.
For 2018 the two divisions are:
- The Featured Composition Division: Compositions in this division are works of moderate difficulty. In the featured DIVISION, the horn part should be playable by the entire spectrum of Hornists within the International Horn Society: Students, Amateurs, and Professionals. It should have musical content that would have the integrity to honor the professional hornists—yet within the pitch and technical range of the panorama of student and amateur players.
- The Virtuoso Composition Division: There is no difficulty limitation for compositions in this division and they will be from one of the following instrumentation categories.
For the 2018 Contest the instrumentation requirements are as follows:
Compositions for Two or More Horns with a Keyboard Instrument (one keyboard performer). ((Keyboard instruments may include piano, harpsichord, organ, electronic keyboard, or mallet percussion.)
Compositions may be from one of the following instrumentation categories:
- Solo Horn featured with large ensemble
- Compositions for Horn Ensemble (two or more players, all horns)
- Horn with chamber ensemble of three or more players (one horn part only). The chamber ensemble may include any acoustic or electronic instruments.
- Compositions for solo horn and keyboard instrument. (Keyboard instruments may include piano, harpsichord, organ, electronic keyboard, or mallet percussion.)
- Compositions for Solo Horn (alone/unaccompanied)
The instrumentation for the divisions will rotate in future contests.
This composition contest uses Electronic submission with rules as follows:
- Application Rules
- Scores must be in PDF Format. Personal name must be removed from the score.
- MP3 recordings of the composition. Personal information (such as embedded composer’s name) should be removed from the file. Maximum size is 30MB.
- A brief description of the work in MS-Word.doc format
- Use the online application, including the name of composition entered, as well as contact information (full name, address, phone number and email address).
- Composer’s name and address must not appear on the scores, recording file or description file. All works are assigned a number to guarantee anonymity during judging.
- Entry fee of $25 U.S.D. for each composition must be paid at the time of submission via the Horn Society website.
- Entries must be received no later than December 1, 2018. Incomplete entries or entries submitted in an incorrect format will not be considered.
- No more than one composition per division per composer is allowed.
- Works submitted must have been composed during the past four years, and any composition that has received support from the International Horn Society Meir Rimon Commissioning Assistance Fund is not eligible.
- Compositions by officers and Staff members of the International Horn Society are not eligible.
- Files will not be returned and will become the property of the International Horn Society. Intellectual rights remain the property of the composer.
- The panel of judges may withhold the awards if the works submitted are deemed unqualified to receive such distinction. Judges may assign Honorable Mention status to compositions not selected for a monetary award.
- Contestants may expect to receive the results of the contest by February 15, 2019. Results of the contest, including a description of the winning compositions and composers’ biographies will appear in an issue of The Horn Call, the journal of the International Horn Society (circulation of 3,000 members from 55 countries).
- The winner of each division will receive a prize of $1250 U.S.D. The winning compositions will be performed, if possible, at an International Horn Society Workshop. The winning composers will have the option of having the work published by the IHS Online Music Sales.
- Entrance into this competition constitutes acceptance of Application Rules.
If you have any questions about any of the rules, write for clarification:
Randall E. Faust, COORDINATOR, COMPOSITION CONTEST
Contest entry has closed
IHS 50th Anniversary Commemorative Volume
Dear IHS member,
Thank you in advance for your contribution to the book commemorating the 50th anniversary of IHS. I look forward to reading your memories of past events and thoughts about the society. Please fill out the survey below according to the instructions. Who knows—you might get quoted in the book itself! The current plan is for this volume to appear in 2020 or 2021.
Please note: At the end of the survey, you will be invited to submit photos or other images for consideration. If you have any images you would like to submit, I suggest you get these prepared before you begin the survey. Images in pdf, jpg, or png formats will be preferred.
This survey is for IHS members only. Please log in