The Publications Editor oversees the preparation, content, and publication of all International Horn Society publications, including all print and digital publications.
Applicants for this position should possess:
- Knowledge of publication and editorial principles necessary to publish a high-quality journal which provides value to a diverse international membership;
- Proactive and excellent listening, written, and verbal communication skills;
- A keen interest in the horn
- The ability to travel
- Demonstrated potential for organizing, producing, and publishing an industry-specific journal.
- Demonstrated potential for product consistency in design and content of print and digital publications.
- Experience with current publication software, such as Word, Adobe InDesign, WordPress, or the like.
- Demonstrated experience with organizing, producing, and publishing an industry-specific journal.
- Demonstrated product consistency in design and content of print and digital publications.
- Professional experience with current publication software, such as Word, Adobe InDesign, WordPress, or the like.
- Record of published written contributions to the field of horn
- Willingness to work in settings involving multiple languages
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including budgeting, timelines, team coordination, etc.
The Publications Editor requires a self-disciplined and self-motivated person with extraordinary communication skills, who can prioritize and complete tasks to deliver outcomes in a timely and consistent manner. The Publications Editor must be practical, results-oriented, and enjoy frequent interaction with others. The Publications Editor should possess entrepreneurial qualities that facilitate and promote the long-range vision and growth of the IHS through the IHS publications and digital outlets.
The Publications Editor is paid as an independent contractor, compensated in the form of an honorarium (the annual budget for 2020-2021 has not been determined, but the expected annual honorarium is currently $10,000). This is not taxed and must be declared as taxable income (IHS will provide a 1099 form). The IHS provides certain travel expenses as required.
Projected Hiring Schedule:
Application process opens: October 1, 2019
Application deadline: December 31, 2019
Finalists selected: March 1, 2020
Finalist interviews: August, 2020.
Starting Date: no later than January 1, 2021
pdf Download the complete job description. (368 KB) (Must be logged in IHS member to access)
TO APPLY: To apply for this position, submit the following:
- a completed application form (including names and email contact for three references)
- a letter describing, in your own words, your suitability for the position
- a resume