new pipe?

More
22 mei 2009 01:49 #286 by Michael Walker
new pipe? was created by Michael Walker
I recently (last year) got a Yamaha 667V. It is one of the older ones and is really a nice horn. I feel the response is just so so as well as the amount on tone colors available. Would getting a new lead pipe help? If so, what kinds would fit well with this horn? If not, what changes/if any would someone recommend?

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 juli 2009 14:48 #300 by Molly White
Replied by Molly White on topic new pipe?
Have you evaluated the package offered by Cantesenu? http://www.cantesanuhorns.com/ I had a chance to play a normal 667 and one of his modified 667s back-to-back at the IHS at Macomb this year, and was pleased. He seems to have made a niche for himself modifying 667s, particularly the lead pipes. The difference between factory and modified 667s were things like a faster response and more consitent feel and tone thru the range of the horn. Of course, those events are not the best venue to really deeply evaluate instruments, but my gut reaction was that Cantesenu's modifications were an improvement. Interested in hearing of your experience.

More
18 juli 2009 04:12 #301 by Eric Lundberg
Replied by Eric Lundberg on topic new pipe?
IMHO First make sure your valves are in tip-top shape with full compression before investing in a lead pipe change. Leaky valves can kill any horn's responsiveness. Chuck Ward (repairman from Chardon Ohio) can discuss this with you. If valves are nice and tight, you might want to look at your mouthpiece setup next...perhaps consider a screw rim/changeable cup such as Moosewood or PHC. With screw rim mouthpiece changes, you can go back and forth between different depth and shaped cups (big tone color changes) without hurting your embouchure as much, as the rim stays the same. Then go after the leadpipe. Just remember you don't know what it will do for you until you have taken the rather expensive and potentially disruptive-to-your horn plunge.

More
23 juli 2009 06:41 #303 by Erik Vigesaa
Replied by Erik Vigesaa on topic new pipe?
I think I would have to try it at a horn convention. I had a chance to try Lawson taped onto my 8D and that was an improvement, but I don't think I could ever send my horn away and just have anyone slap a leadpipe on. I don't think any two people play alike.

More
28 juli 2009 10:59 #306 by Scott Hawkinson
Replied by Scott Hawkinson on topic new pipe?
Indeed. When considering a new leadpipe you certainly don't send your horn off as a first step.

The first step is: contact the custom leadpipe maker. That person will discuss what you want and will have recommendations based on his/her experience with the shortcomings of your specific model. Then the maker will send you, typically, 3 examples for you to tape on your horn and try.

That way you don't have to wait for a convention.

Really talented leapipe makers include Dennis Houghton, Stuart de Haro, and Jacob Medlin, and others. I thought the Cantesanu-revised 667 was good too (although the 667V is very different compared to the regular 667).

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds