Triple Horns: Breakthrough machinery?

More
28 mei 2008 08:44 #107 by Jack Levoska
Triple Horns: Breakthrough machinery? was created by Jack Levoska
I am doing a research project for an English class and am doing a literature review of the Triple horn : its advances in the field, player response and reviews, and pros and cons of the instrument. If any of you wonderful horn players out there have tried, are using, or have used and switched back to your old horn, please post your experience(s) with your triple. Tell me what model/make, what you liked about the instrument, what helped and didn't help, and what you think it means to the world of horn playing.

Thanks!

Jack Levoska
Western Michigan University

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 mei 2008 00:46 #109 by Ricardo Matosinhos
Replied by Ricardo Matosinhos on topic Triple Horns: Breakthrough machinery?
I play on a full double horn and I have respect for the triple horns. Having two horns on the same leadpipe is allready a compromise. From the times I've tried a Triple Horn I allways had the fealing I wasnt really playing horn on the hi horn. The sound tends to become very "trumpet style" and is difficult to make a nice french horn legatto, istead on the legatti there are some brassy harmonics. There are horn players the can deal with that until the point you can't figure out if they are playing on a triple or double. If I had to choose a triple horn, I would bet on schmid F/Bb/Eb for its better smooth sound and tunning and friendly finger positions.

More
09 juni 2008 13:35 #113 by Martin Künkler
Replied by Martin Künkler on topic Triple Horns: Breakthrough machinery?
Triples or Doubles are always a compromise. Especially if it is coupled with a high Horn. The so called "sportig Models" (a german nickmane for high Horns) are difficult to play and its not easy, to get a rich, warm Hornsound on it. Its like at the Trumpets: To get a beautiful sound on a high Bb-Trumpet, you have to practice very hard. Im a little bit exotic, because I play mostly a 5-valved Bb-Horn, made by Ricco Kühn. But I also love to play on a single F, 40 Years old, with E/Stopvalve made by Weltklang, a Plant, what is not existent yet but it was well known during the time of GDR (Easterngermany) befor the reunion. I had also tryed a lot of Doubles and some Triples, too. I never was lucky with them. As an Amateur, so it must be sayed, I dont had the time, to practice enough with it! For a 1.Horn-Player in an Orchestra, may be it is a good Instrument. But it never must sound like a Trumpet or a Flügelhorn! Alas, sometimes the high Horns (the Players) sounds this way.

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds