Austro-Hungarian Hunting Horn: Help Needed Please

• Christopher Nichols
  • Christopher Nichols's Avatar Topic Author
More
08 May 2012 22:32 #581 by Christopher Nichols
Austro-Hungarian Hunting Horn: Help Needed Please was created by Christopher Nichols
Hi all,

I was at a garage sale and came across what appears to be a very old hunting horn. I emailed a curator at the National Music Museum and she replied that she believed it was an Austro-Hungarian hunting horn from the 19th century. The crest on the horn, after researching it is the same one here:

http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Arch-Duchy_of_Austria

Does anyone know anything about this horn? I paid $10 for it. Was this a good buy?

Your help is really appreciated!!!

Chris in Las Vegas
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Christopher Nichols
More
08 May 2012 22:34 #582 by Christopher Nichols
Replied by Christopher Nichols on topic Austro-Hungarian Hunting Horn: Help Needed Please
Second Picture
Attachments:

More
10 May 2012 23:53 #583 by Jim Engele
Replied by Jim Engele on topic Austro-Hungarian Hunting Horn: Help Needed Please
If you spoke with Peggy banks, she is 'the' authority this side of the atlantic. Maybe someone with roots closer to its original home could help. Maybe Hans Pizka for example, www.pizka.de You couldn't have gone wrong for $10 though!

• Christopher Nichols
More
11 May 2012 03:53 #585 by Christopher Nichols
Replied by Christopher Nichols on topic Austro-Hungarian Hunting Horn: Help Needed Please
Jim,

Any contact information for Peggy Banks? I tried googling her, but come up with too many people with same name. Thanks!

More
17 May 2012 17:34 #586 by Justin Sharp
Replied by Justin Sharp on topic Austro-Hungarian Hunting Horn: Help Needed Please
Hi Chris,

I used a few connections that I have to REAL hunting horn experts here in Germany who are in the know about such horns.

I sent the pictures to them, this is what they had to say:

Uwe Bartels: "Yes, the coat of arms is well identified. The horn a "post-horn" type. I do think it is a reproduction though; many circulating on the market. The cord says it all..... alas a reproduction. The horn looks, to smooth and new, the cord is not old. I've seen a lot of post horns, this equipment is not very old. For the literature of post horns the bell is too high. The wrap is two fold in size; it would probably be in c or b. The most famous post-horns were commonly in F. .....the "Reichs-Post-Horn" in Eb. They were always a three or four wrap. In order to assess the instrument further, I would have it in my hand. The purchase price is, in any case nothing wrong. A good, signed Posthorn 19th Century will cost more than 500 €."

Another friend who knows a lot about hunting horns and post horns had this to say,
" For $10, it was a steel! It will for sure look better hanging on the wall than the $10, ever would!"

I translated everything from German into English very fast, so please forgive me if something sounds strange.

If you want to look at similar hunting horns in the internet, then type in "Jagdhorn" or "Fuerstpleasshorn" into google.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your great fitch!

Sincerely,

Justin Sharp
Germany

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok