The International Horn Society is a global horn community. We celebrate diversity and exercise tolerance, and we are here to offer support, resources, and inspiration. Views expressed by individual members of the IHS do not necessarily reflect our values and aims of the society as a whole.

Straight Mute: How to add a wrist strap?

• Sarah Baird Knight
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2012 13:39 #534 by Sarah Baird Knight
Straight Mute: How to add a wrist strap? was created by Sarah Baird Knight
Hey, hornists.

I have a handyman type question. I've had a straight mute for decades but it doesn't have a wrist strap. There's a piece I'm currently playing that has a one beat transition from muted to open, and it's impossible to execute without one. I don't want to buy a whole new mute.

Does anybody have experience adding a wrist strap? If so, are there instructions you could share?

Many thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2012 15:34 #535 by Dan Phillips
Replied by Dan Phillips on topic Re: Straight Mute: How to add a wrist strap?
Depends on the type of mute, but if it has a wood bottom, it's pretty easy. Visit your friendly local home improvement or hardware store and buy a small screw eye. Screw that into the bottom of the mute, thread some valve string or a leather boot lace through it, tie it together and you're done. You can get a lot fancier, but IMO that's the easiest way to do it.

• Sarah Baird Knight
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2012 17:09 #536 by Sarah Baird Knight
Replied by Sarah Baird Knight on topic Re: Straight Mute: How to add a wrist strap?
Thanks, Dan! I've seen others with that rigging. I'm glad to know that it *is* as simple to execute as it looks.

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok