The International Horn Society is a global horn community. We celebrate diversity and exercise tolerance, and we are here to offer support, resources, and inspiration. Views expressed by individual members of the IHS do not necessarily reflect our values and aims of the society as a whole.

Piston valve horn

More
23 Jul 2011 10:43 #472 by Michael Saul
Piston valve horn was created by Michael Saul
I am curious to know if anyone out there has and plays on a piston horn? I own a Selmer-Paris piston horn, made in 1950, acompensating double with and ascending 3rd valve which I love dearly and though it sounds great, a number of horn players have scoffed that anyone would want to play on such an instrument, this one seemingly being outdated. (I also play on a vintage Hoyer so I am not a piston valve fanatic!)

If anyone else has and plays on one of these, I would like to know and share your thoughts.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2011 14:27 - 24 Jul 2011 19:25 #473 by Dan Phillips
Replied by Dan Phillips on topic Re: Piston valve horn
Interesting! I attended the Association Française du Cor congress last fall in Orléans and did not see any of these horns. I wonder how many French players still use them?
Last edit: 24 Jul 2011 19:25 by Dan Phillips. Reason: fixedtypo

More
29 Aug 2011 15:47 #475 by Scott Hawkinson
Replied by Scott Hawkinson on topic Re: Piston valve horn
I heard Doug Lundeen play an old French piston instrument at the Macomb symposium a couple of years ago. It was wonderful!

More
29 Aug 2011 17:35 #477 by Michael Saul
Replied by Michael Saul on topic Re: Piston valve horn
I thought maybe I was the only person in existence who still had one! Thanks for that information!

Mike

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok