Schmidt horns

More
19 Jul 2011 09:23 #470 by Deborah McDowell
Schmidt horns was created by Deborah McDowell
Hey everyone, I'm going to be a graduate student next year and I'm looking into buying an E. Schmidt horn, and am debating between a few things.

double vs. triple
type of metal on horn/bell
type of bell

Anyone have any input? What works for you/didn't work for you? Any input is welcome, though I'm sure when it comes down to it, it will be whatever works best during the trial period. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2012 23:55 #554 by J Charles Sernatinger
Replied by J Charles Sernatinger on topic Schmidt horns
Why would you restrict yourself to an E. Schmidt? Take a look at the classifieds and see which horns DONT show up for sale as used horns. You should be looking at a Lewis, or a Cantesanu instead, I have played Schmidts, and they are just not in the same ball park. Alternative: Lewis/Duerk

Charlie Sernatinger

More
30 Mar 2012 18:09 #561 by Jim Engele
Replied by Jim Engele on topic Schmidt horns
Hi Deborah,

I would recommend a double horn for your situation. Usually, triple horns are something that people get because of a unique requirement in addition to already having a double horn. As a graduate student, you should have a reliable double horn first I think. The Schmid double/yellow brass/wide bell/lacquered is probably the most common configuration I've seen and would handle most situations thrown at you. The choice of material is a personal one, I think gold brass sounds better but there is more resistance and you have to work a little harder. Some people like nickel horns, the response is quick and there is a positive resistance to the feel. An extra wide nickel flare makes any Schmid sound a lot like an 8D if you have to blend with a section although most people prefer to have a flare like the wide yellow which is more conventional and provides a broader blending capability. The hand hammered flares also sound better, most people prefer them and the only disadvantage is the cost. http://www.osmun.com/prod/Schmid/Schmid.htm

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok