cryogenics

More
14 Dec 2010 19:34 #421 by John Freeman
cryogenics was created by John Freeman
The 8D that I am currently playing was restored recently in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.  The horn was purchased from a pawn shop in March of this year and needed substantial repair work on the bell to clean up a previous repair attempt.  After the restoration, the horn was less responsive than before the restoration.  I played the restored horn for a month to identify as many acoustical characteristics as possible before turning it over to CRYOPLUS for the cryogenic treatment.  After the treatment, it went to my local repairman to have him add the valve strings and new corks.  Since then I have been playing the 'FROZEN PAWN SHOP HORN'  as my primary horn around Columbus and Cleveland.

There is no doubt in my mind that this horn is the finest 8D that I have ever played.

Going down a check list of what we all desire from a musical instrument, this horn has it all; Response, Tone, Intonation, Flexibility, Range, Sensitivity, Volume ..... Everything.  In my ensemble experience, the horn fit in immediately and I was able blend into the sound without hesitation.  I look forward to using it soon in a woodwind (or brass) quintet.  The sound is so clear that it actually requires less effort to play and is therefore, less fatiguing to play.

I saw this horn come out of the cryogenic chamber at CRYOPLUS.  It shared space in the chamber with industrial band saw blades, industrial knifes, motorcycle cylinders and gun barrels.

Until now, the best horn that I have ever played was my 'N Series'  8D.  Now I am going to have some minor work done to that horn in Cleveland and then I will hand it over to Kathi at CRYOPLUS in Wooster to have it treated too.

My alto horn is an 1889 Boston Musical Instruments model.  It has undergone minor dent repair, cleaning  and had the valves replated.  This week, I will pick up the horn in Cleveland and drop it off at CRYOPLUS to have it treated as well.  In this case, I am primarily interested in having the stress relief of the cryogenic treatment applied to the remanufactured valves.

If you are unfamiliar with the cryogenic process as it is used on musical instruments, I urge you to search on the internet.  Read as much as you can about the process and call some of the cryogenic companies that you will find on the internet to be sure that they are familiar with
treating musical instruments.  Do this before you consider having this treatment done to your horn.

If you have more questions about my experience with cryogenics and brass instruments, please write to me at:

John R. Freeman
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok