Kruspe Horns

More
13 Aug 2009 16:52 #315 by Julian Begg
Kruspe Horns was created by Julian Begg
Hi!

I recently bought myself a Kruspe horn 1966 Milano model Bb/F and I LOVE it! What are other people's experiences of Kruspe instruments? I'd be gratified to hear from them. I hope this is worthy of a public forum like this. I'd be quite happy to take it off-forum, if necessary.

Julian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2012 02:10 #525 by Richard V West
Replied by Richard V West on topic Kruspe Horns
Julian:

Just entered the 21st century, web-wise, so this is a very belated answer to your Kruspe posting. I was intrigued that you have a "Milano" Kruspe made in 1966. I didn't think they made them after World War 2. This is the model with dual, linked change valves. I've attached an image of a "Milano" model from a 1930s Kruspe catalogue.

On the bell engraving with the Kruspe eagle does it still say "Erfurt" as the place of origin?

I play a Kruspe, also, but it's a Walter Kruspe model from the late 1920s, sometimes called a "New Symphony" model here in the the States (also attached).

Richard
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2012 02:55 #526 by Julian Begg
Replied by Julian Begg on topic Kruspe Horns
Hi Richard,

Your post has made my day. yes, the Milano image you included is my instrument to a "T" .. I was told by the merchant, Alan Wiltshire, that it apparently dates from 1966. Apart from this information I have no real idea about its provenance. Ken pope had a look at it in person at IHS San Francisco last year and said it was hand-made. Yes, I just checked and it says "Erfurt" below the Kruspe name. What does this mean then?

Julian
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2012 22:30 #528 by Richard V West
Replied by Richard V West on topic Kruspe Horns
Hi Julian:

Erfurt was the city where Kruspe horns (and their other brass instruments) were made until fairly recently. It was/is an industrial city that was incorporated into the DDR (East Germany) after WW2. As a result, Kruspe horns became rather difficult to acquire in the West, many often being smuggled out by traveling musicians. Kruspe moved to Eisenach sometime during the past two decades, possibly when Germany was reunified. Eisenach is the city where Bach was born, but is also in the same German state (Thuringia) as Erfurt, just further West.

Apparently, Milano model horns are still being made, but I have no idea whether they are being marked "Erfurt" or "Eisenach". Perhaps one of the German hornists in this forum can answer that question. In any event, a 1966 date for your horn is quite reasonable.

Kruspe has a website with a bit of history and some images of their current horn production (except the Milano model, which is listed but not illustrated for some reason). The English version is:

http://www.edkruspe.de/index_en.html

Where are you located, by the way? UK?

Richard

More
17 Jan 2012 23:28 #529 by Julian Begg
Replied by Julian Begg on topic Kruspe Horns
Yes, I'm in Dunkeld, Perthshire and Kinross, Scotland. I have heard mixed reports about post-war Kruspe horns i.e. those manufactured in the DDR; inconsistent quality control.

I must say that I am very satisfied with mine. Sweet tone and in tune; good-natured across the registers. It has been modified with the addition of a cut-bell by the original seller. Purchased at Horns-a-Plenty and still listed!

It does not look as lacquered and shiny now as it does in the photograph I sent you. I was keen to clean it up as it was dull and brown in appearance 2.5 years back, when I bought it.

Thank you for the link!

Warm regards

Julian

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok