Horns

More
23 Sep 2008 12:36 #172 by Kathleen Swigert
Horns was created by Kathleen Swigert
Hi Everyone!
I am interested in a conversation about comparing some different horns. It seems that it is going to be tough for me to play test the different brands and models because no one is keeping much in stock. I have had my eye on the Alex for most of my adult life. My horn teacher from college played one and that sparked my interest. Since I have been inquiring, it has also been suggested to me that I might prefer the Hoyer 5800 series or the Hoyer 6802NSA-L. I'm looking for feedback on the strenghts/weaknesses or special characteristics of each. I'd also like to know what others consider to be the strengths of the brands/models they favor.
Thanks! Kathy:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2008 18:55 #173 by Scott Miller
Replied by Scott Miller on topic Re:Horns
I actually have the same question as I'm looking for a backup horn to my Yamaha 668D which I've had for 17 years and love. I'm considering another Yamaha, Conn 8 or 11D, Hoyer (never tried one) or anything else that sounds and plays similar to my Yamaha. I've not heard anything good lately about Holtons which saddens me. I'm primarily a high horn player spending most of my time in concert bands, an occasional orchestra, theatre productions, and a brass quintet.

Thanks in advance, Scott

More
29 Sep 2008 06:49 #174 by Martin Künkler
Replied by Martin Künkler on topic Re:Horns
Hi Kathleen,

if You think about a Hoyer, the 7802 ist the better one, because its bell ist tempered. Its sound is (typical "Hollywood") softer and the horn is more flexible. All other is the same as at the 6000 models.
The best double in Hoyers actually range ist the DK 121 (122). A Knopf-model desinged by Carlos Crespo. A superb horn! Typical "german" (or "Chicago"-sound) http://www.hans-hoyer.de
But, like all Alex-models, dont buy it unseen / untested!!!
Ricco Kühn is a craftsman, who built very fine horns! http://www.ricco-kuehn.de The american dealer is http://www.poperepair.com or look at http://brassarts.com
Kühn and Hoyer, both K-models are typical "saxonian" horns, but Kühn is more "international". You will find no London- or Hollywood-sound in those horns! As far as I know, the section of the Boston Symphonie plays on Kühn-Horns. May be, You can contact one of the players. If You are interested in a Kühn, tell him, wich mouthpiece You have in use! He will make the leadpipe exactly for that! The standard leadpipe is made for Klier-mouthpieces, but they are unknown in the States, but they have a big bore and a slim cup, like american mouthpieces. But the stem is differnt.
The Hoyer 5800 series has a sound, whats a little bit "markig", like we say in german. That means, a touch of Parforcehorn is in. If You look to the bell, You will see, that it is in a kind of a Trompe de chasse. This model is not as good as the DK 121.

If You need more informations about german horns, let me know.

Regards, Martin

More
29 Sep 2008 15:32 #176 by Patrick Rappleye
Replied by Patrick Rappleye on topic Re:Horns
If you are looking for a horn similar to your yamaha 668 the Hoyer or a Conn (among others) are good choice. Martin is correct in saying that the Hoyer 7802 is a better model, but at a higher cost. Both the Hoyer and the Alex are great horns, but play very differently. If you have been playing on an 8D all your life you may not like an Alex right away. Trying horns is really important in the horn buying process. Try looking at some used horns. Dealers such as Ken Pope (poperepair.com) will often let you have the horn for a trial period. Private sellers are also a good resource. Check out the classifieds at hornplayer.net. You may be able to work out a deal to try out a horn or find someone near you that has what you are looking for. Remember that there is no "perfect" horn. Quite often there will be horn dealers at regional workshops with plenty of horns you can try. Just keep your eyes open. Hopefully you will find one that fits your needs.

I hope I have been helpful,

Pat

More
04 Oct 2008 02:14 #182 by Martin Künkler
Replied by Martin Künkler on topic Re:Horns
Yes, Partick,

thaths all right! The Alex-models, specially the 103 is a fine Horn to play Mozart. For the sound You'll find in films (or movies?) ist not comparable.
An other possibility are the original Kruspe Horns. This plant is still existent, but not in Erfurt. Nowadays the addres is:

Ed. Kruspe
Inh. Heldmann
Am Schunkenhofe 5
D-99848 Wutha-Farnroda

But they build horns only on request and they are very expensive!!
I think, the Hoyer 7802 is not so expensive. If You like to buy a horn only for a couple of years, think about selling! If it is a rare model, no one will buy it. But if You wanna have a horn for the rest of Your life, it doesnt matter.
But never buy a horn without testing it!!!!
In Germay its no Problem, to order a horn for a trial periode. You have to pay the postal, thats all. If You order three or four different horn at the same time, You can test them comparative. Thats the best solution, if You have no dealer near by Your hometown.

More
15 Jan 2009 00:41 #221 by Erik Vigesaa
Replied by Erik Vigesaa on topic Re:Horns
I blew on an Alex, and I would agree that it is quite good for Mozart, what little I played it. I had also played one years ago, and the initial impression was the same as above. When I tried to light it up and get the afterburners going, my impression was "this thing can only get so loud". I feel 8Ds can pretty much get as loud as you want without too much overloading. Of course, the problem these days is getting a factory 8D that actually works. I bought a new Eastlake screwbell and liked the intonation and the controlled tone compared to a King Eroica(-what a free-blowing beast!, and the ears of people I trust around thought it sounded pretty good as well. I did send one back with rose brass. It didn't seem to have any zing. Also, the one I bought had issues, such as billowing solder in one of the slides;the mouthpeice wasn't joining properly. When I inspected the valves, someone at the factory had accidently beveled around the hole of passage rather than keep it sharp. I also needed a new valve. Why onn earth I kept this horn, I don't know. Conn is coming out with their "Elkhart Edition", but if they only would pay attention to quality control, they would have good horns. If you find one, it really plays nice, good luck finding one.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok