CALL FOR SCORES AND PROPOSAL:
Competition to commission a new, original wind quintet by the consortium of JWQP: the National Flute Association, the International Double Reed Society, the International Clarinet Association and the International Horn Society.
AWARD and PERFORMANCE:
The winning composer will receive $10,000. There will be four featured performances in the summer of 2012 at each of the instrument society’s conventions.
ENTRY FEE and DEADLINE:
There is no entry fee. All application materials must be received by March 1, 2011. Announcement of winner will be June 1, 2011.
- Must display technical and compositional variety, yet be ultimately playable by a reasonably large portion of our memberships.
- 10-14 minutes in length, multiple movements accepted.
- Balance of musical and technical activity in all parts.
- Use of auxiliary instruments such as piccolo and English Horn ok.
- The winner would be required to have the finished score and parts 3 months before the premiere.
- All materials will need to be submitted online via PDF and mp3 files.
- Arrangements of previous work will not be eligible for this commission.
COMPOSERS SHOULD SUBMIT:
- Bio - 1 page only with any recent commissions and performances listed.
- A clear description of proposed piece and interest in writing for wind quintet.
- Score samples: proposed work, other wind quintet or wind writing or other significant works.
- Recorded samples - of the submitted scores, in mp3 format only.
Submissions will be judged anonymously; contestants should not put their names on any of the submitted materials besides the application.
Mariam Adam – Clarinetist, Imani Winds (ICA)
Peter Bacchus – Flutist, Grup21, Composer (NFA)
Joseph Ognibene – Horn, Iceland Symphony (IHS)
John Steinmetz – Bassoonist, Composer (IDRS)