New Podcast Series from 1969 Workshop
A new series of five podcasts begins today, presenting performances from the "First Annual French Horn Workshop" held at Florida State University in June, 1969. Included in this first set are several performances by the workhop horn choir, consisting of all the participants, conducted by Max Pottag and Wendell Hoss.
These recordings and many more to come from the early years of the IHS and before are from LP records made available by IHS members Craig Pratt and Kristine Coreil.
National Collegiate Solo Competition
The premier musical organization of the U.S. Army, The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” is pleased to announce the call for entries for the 2011 National Collegiate Solo Competition!
Position Opening - News Editor for The Horn Call
The responsibilities of The Horn Call News editor include:
- gathering news-worthy information and photos from around the world for publication in The Horn Call, including (but not limited to) member news, obituaries, reports of past events, and announcements of coming events and graduate assistantships.
- updating and expanding the current contact list of horn players, teachers, designers/makers, etc.
- organizing the gathered material within an established template
- editing the News column for publication following the guidelines specified in the style manuals listed on page 4 of The Horn Call
- meeting the three annual deadlines for submission: August 1 for the October journal, December 1 for the February journal, and March 1 for the May journal.
- a current resume
- a brief statement concerning your qualifications for this position
- an original one-page essay on a topic of your choice
Screening for this position will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The Horn Call editor Bill Scharnberg, assistant editor Marilyn Bone Kloss, and proofreading assistant Ed Glick will screen the applications.
Brass Chamber Music Composition Contest
42nd Symposium wraps up
The annual general meeting of the IHS was held Friday afternoon, July 23, 2010 in the Conservatorium Theatre in Brisbane, site of the 42nd International Horn Symposium. Among the announcements made were election results, Honorary Member and Punto Award recipients and various contest winners.
New officers are:
President: Frank Lloyd
Vice-President: David Thompson
Secretary-Treasurer: Jonathan Stoneman
New Advisory Council members are Frank Lloyd, Peter Luff and Leighton Jones, replacing Michelle Stebleton, Heather Petit-Johnson and Jeff Snedeker, whose terms expired and were ineligible for further service. Joseph Ognibene, John Ericson and Geof Winter were re-elected to the AC.
Newly elected Honorary Members of the IHS are Dale Clevenger, Anthony Halstead and Lowell Shaw.