The International Horn Society is a global horn community. We celebrate diversity and exercise tolerance, and we are here to offer support, resources, and inspiration. Views expressed by individual members of the IHS do not necessarily reflect our values and aims of the society as a whole.

× Send Questions to Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo.

Triple Tonguing

More
25 Jul 2009 02:05 #305 by Kendall Betts
Triple Tonguing was created by Kendall Betts
Question:

I was taught horn playing at a young age to use the syllables, "tu ka tu", but I noticed recently that most of the basic instruction books recommend "tu tu ka".

I have a difficult time doing "tu tu ka", perhaps just because I have done it the other way my entire life. I admit my triple tonguing could be improved, but my question is:

Should I relearn this technique "tu tu ka" to improve my triple tonguing technique or just work on perfecting the system engrained in my consciousness long ago?

Dave Haupt

Kendall Betts responds:

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your question.

I think this falls into the "do what works best for you" category. I've always used and taught "tu-ku-tu" myself but I've known others who advocate and use "tu-tu-ku" with success as well. That said, the reason I prefer "tu-ku-tu" is that I advocate "tu-ku-tu-ku" for double tonguing so "tu-ku-tu" seems a logical extension of the same technique for triple tonguing.

There is an old method book that goes into great detail and has exercises to improve tonguing techniques: Tongue Gymnastix by Henri Weber. Yes, that's the correct spelling! Originally published by Belwin, it may still be available. An online search should bring information.

I've also found that developing a solid, versatile single tonguing technique helps with the development of the others.

Have fun!

Kendall Betts

Please Identificarse to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Usamos cookies en nuestro sitio web. Algunas de ellas son esenciales para el funcionamiento del sitio, mientras que otras nos ayudan a mejorar el sitio web y también la experiencia del usuario (cookies de rastreo). Puedes decidir por ti mismo si quieres permitir el uso de las cookies. Ten en cuenta que si las rechazas, puede que no puedas usar todas las funcionalidades del sitio web.