Position Announcement — Executive Director
The International Horn Society announces an opening for the position of Executive Director, beginning January 1, 2019
The IHS Executive Director (ED) position is the chief administrative position for the International Horn Society. Under the direction of the IHS Advisory Council (AC), the ED is responsible for general operational, administrative, and financial management of the society. The ED implements organizational policies approved by the AC in such key areas as operations, budgeting, programming, communications, and fundraising. The ED works closely with the AC, committee chairs, program coordinators, and the membership.
Applicants for this position should possess:
- knowledge of administrative and management principles necessary to communicate effectively with a diverse international membership;
- knowledge of budgeting principles, non-profit tax requirements, and financial planning;
- skills in bookkeeping, database management, program management, administrative management, and fundraising;
- excellent listening, written, and verbal communication skills;
- a keen interest in the horn and the ability to travel.
- a Bachelors degree and at least 2 years of experience with non-profit or business management, or equivalent.
- basic bookkeeping or accounting experience, including accounting software.
- demonstrated proficiency with standard computer programs.
- demonstrated competence in both new technologies and social media.
- experience at a management level of an arts organization.
- multiple language skills.
- grant writing or fund raising experience.
- IHS membership.
The ED position requires an honest, self-disciplined, and self-motivated person with excellent communication skills, who can prioritize and complete tasks to deliver outcomes in a timely manner. The ED must be optimistic and versatile, as the position requires frequent change and flexibility. The ED must be practical, results-oriented, and enjoy frequent interaction with others. The ED should possess entrepreneurial qualities that facilitate and promote the growth of the society and its connection to current member needs.
The ED is currently paid as independent contractor, reviewed annually. Starting salary: $30,000. Workload can average up to 30-40 hours per week, but the schedule is generally flexible, depending on fiscal and society/ administrative needs. The ED should expect to provide their own home office, computer hardware, phone, and fax machine, though some support is available. As a contractor, the ED is responsible for all personal taxes, etc. associated with compensation received. The IHS provides certain travel expenses as required.
- Projected Hiring Schedule:
- Application deadline: November 15, 2017
Finalists selected: March 1, 2018
Finalist interviews: July/August, 2018.
Starting Date: January 1, 2019
To see the full job description, pdf follow this link (46 KB)
TO APPLY: To apply for this position, submit the following:
- a completed application form (including names and email contact for three references)
- a letter describing, in your own words, your suitability for the position
- a resume