Frizelle Orchestral Audition Contests
The Dorothy Frizelle Memorial Fund (biography appears on page 124 of the April 1989 issue of The Horn Call) was established in her memory to support the study of orchestral horn playing at IHS workshops.
Award: One winner may be selected in each category (High and Low). Winners will receive an orchestral coaching session from an orchestral artist at the International Horn Society Annual Symposium and a one-year IHS membership.
Age Requirements: Full-time students under 25 years of age on June 30, 2019 are eligible.
Application Requirements: Applicants can sign up online (must be logged in) through June 25, 2019. If space is still available applicants can sign up at the pre-competition masterclass. Applicants will be required to show proof that they are full-time students, registered for the symposium. Applications will be accepted in the order they are received.
A required pre-competition master class that will cover both the excerpts required and the expectations of the judging committees in performance and audition decorum will be held during the first few days of the symposium. After the master class, rosters for the high and low horn auditions will be established. Anyone not attending the full masterclass will not be allowed to compete.
High Horn: (1st horn parts unless otherwise specified)
- Beethoven Symphony No. 7, 1st movement, mm. 89-101
- Brahms Symphony No. 2, 2nd movement, mm. 17-31
- Ravel Pavane pour une enfante défunte, opening solo
- Strauss, R. Ein Heldenleben, mm. 1-17
- Strauss, R. Till Eulenspiegel, 1st horn, mm. 6-20;
AND 3rd horn, 19 m. after #28 – 1 m. before #30
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5, 2nd movement solo
- Beethoven Symphony No. 3, 2nd horn, 3rd movement Trio
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9, 4th horn, 3rd movement, mm. 82-99
- Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, 1st horn, 1st movement, # - 
- Strauss, R. Don Quixote, 2nd horn, Variations 7 & 8 (complete)
- Strauss, R. Ein Heldenleben, 2nd horn, 4 m. after  to 1 m. after 
- Wagner, R. Prelude to Das Rheingold, 8th horn, mm. 17 - downbeat of 59
Judging: All participants will receive written evaluations of their performances by the judges. Details concerning the location and time of the contest will be listed in the Symposium program and posted in the Symposium Registration area.