The purpose of this competition is to nurture and develop the great horn soloists of the future. All finalists are expected to pay for travel to the Symposium and register as a participant.
- First Prize: $1000 and a one-year IHS membership.
- Second Prize: $750 and a one-year IHS membership.
- Third Prize: $500 and a one-year IHS membership.
Age Requirements: Hornists less than 28 years of age on 1/1/2024 may apply.
Application Requirements: Applications must be submitted to the IHS Executive Director using the online IHS Premier Solo Competition Application Form (must be logged in to access) and must include a recording containing performances of the following required works.
Three Repertoire Requirements for the Recorded Performances:
- First Movement (with piano or orchestra) from one of the following:
- W. A. Mozart Concerto No. 2, K. 417
- W. A. Mozart Concerto No. 4, K. 495
- Richard Strauss Concerto No. 1
- An unaccompanied solo work from the 20th or 21st century.
- One of the following works (with piano):
- Eugène Bozza En Forêt, op. 41
- Paul Dukas Villanelle
- Robert Schumann Adagio and Allegro, op. 70
Judging: Applications will be judged on the quality of the recorded performances (including the fidelity level). Individual identification of recordings will be removed by the Executive Director before being submitted to the judges to ensure anonymity. The judges will select up to five finalists to compete at the forthcoming IHS International Symposium (Montréal, Canada).
Finalists will perform the same concerto and work with horn and piano that was submitted to the judges. A rehearsal with a staff accompanist will be arranged for finalists who do not bring their own accompanist. All finalists will receive written evaluations of their performance. The judges will select any prizewinners and they will be announced during the annual IHS business meeting.
Deadlines: Completed applications include both an application form and a recording of the three required selections, and must be received by the IHS Executive Director no later than March 18, 2024. Applicants will receive notification of the awards by April 25.