The Dorothy Frizelle Memorial Fund (biography appears on page 124 of the April 1989 issue of The Horn Call) was established in her memory to support the study of orchestral horn playing at IHS workshops.
Award: One winner may be selected in each category (High and Low). Winners will receive an orchestral coaching session from an orchestral artist at the International Horn Society Annual Symposium and a one-year IHS membership.
Age Requirements: Full-time students under 25 years of age on January 1, 2021 are eligible.
- Applicants can sign up online (must be logged in) through the link below
- Audio Recordings of all excerpts listed for either low or high horn - all recordings must be unedited. You may record the excerpt list in either one or two takes (i.e. you can record half of the list in each take - be sure to label each file accordingly). Upload files (mp3 ONLY) to in the application form.
- Proof of enrollment full-time in public or private school, conservatory or university. Proof of enrollment must be provided at the time of application, students must be enrolled in the current academic school year or the term immediately preceding the symposium (August 9-14, 2021).
- The first 15 applications received between March 1 - 15, 2021 for each audition (low horn and high horn) will be considered.
- If entering both high and low competitions, you must submit a separate application for each competition (one for low and one for high).
High Horn: (1st horn parts unless otherwise specified)
- Beethoven Symphony No. 7, 1st movement, mm. 89-101
- Brahms Symphony No. 2, 2nd movement, mm. 17-31
- Ravel Pavane pour une enfante défunte, opening solo
- Strauss, R. Ein Heldenleben, mm. 1-17
- Strauss, R. Till Eulenspiegel, 1st horn, mm. 6-20;
AND 3rd horn, 19 m. after #28 – 1 m. before #30
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5, 2nd movement solo
- Beethoven Symphony No. 3, 2nd horn, 3rd movement Trio
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9, 4th horn, 3rd movement, mm. 82-99
- Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, 1st horn, 1st movement, # - 
- Strauss, R. Don Quixote, 2nd horn, Variations 7 & 8 (complete)
- Strauss, R. Ein Heldenleben, 2nd horn, 4 m. after  to 1 m. after 
- Wagner, R. Prelude to Das Rheingold, 8th horn, mm. 17 - downbeat of 59
Judging: All participants will receive written evaluations of their performances by the judges. Details concerning the location and time of the contest will be made available online and in the IHS 53 app when they become available.