The IHS announces a new calendar and changes to 2020-2021 IHS Scholarship Competitions!
IHS Scholarship competition deadlines will be spread out over the entire year:
- Dec. 1 Tuckwell (includes recordings)
- Jan. 1 Mansur (essay/letter only--no recording)
- Feb. 1 Frizelle (includes recordings)
- Mar. 1 Hawkins (includes recordings)
- Apr. 1 Premiere Soloist: virtual prelim, live finals round on-line during IHS 53!
Repertoire requirements have been updated to include unaccompanied solos, and optional piano
First competition of the year: Barry Tuckwell award
- Application deadline December 1, 2020
- Age requirement: 18-24 on January 1, 2020
- Quick-look application requirements
Two essays, and a recording(s) of the applicant playing:
- one etude
- two orchestral excerpts
- one movement of a concerto/sonata/unaccompanied piece
(Piano accompaniment is optional)
- Award: One award of up to $500 will be used to help pay the registration, room and board, and travel costs to attend any master class, workshop or symposium in which the applicant will study with master hornists and perform.
- Award: The winner will also receive a one-year IHS membership.
The Barry Tuckwell Award was established in 1997 to honor the IHS Founding President and is designed to encourage and support worthy horn students as they pursue education and performance opportunities by attending and participating in masterclasses and workshops throughout the world.
Click here for more details and application requirements
More info to come regarding the other competitions, check the website for changes!